Monday, September 22, 2008

Flashback Monday

Oops, I forgot to post on Friday, but Flashback Monday works just as well, right? In the family book, there is a section written by Grandma Pulsipher entitled "Stories For My Young Grandchildren". Here is the first chapter:

"I was born in Mesquite, Nevada on October 20, 1901. My folks had lived in Gunlock, Utah which is 25 miles above St. George. My oldest brother was born there. My folks moved from there to Mesquite. Mom and my Daddy had a little girl there. She died when she was three months old with the whooping cough. Her name was Delilah. She was buried in the Mesquite Cemetery.

A true story that was told to me by Twila's Uncle Arthur Hughes. He said that he was passing by my father's place which was one room and a tent. My father saw him and asked him to run down a block and tell Aunt Lean, a nurse, that 'Sister Jones needed her to come to her place, that she was ready to have her baby.' Aunt Lean thought she would take a short cut, so she went through a vacant lot. When she got to the Joneses, her long dress and heavy cotton stockings were full of grass burrs and everyone had to help her pick them out right quick. Right after I was born, my daddy moved my Mother back to Gunlock where the water was good and we could raise good mellons, vegetables, fruit and beans and molasses. It was so hot in Mesquite.

I can remember when my brother Angus was born. I was five years older then he was. He was a cute little blonde curly-haired baby."

No comments: