
I thought it would be fun to post some kind of flashback each Friday, so here goes...
When Grandma lived with us near the end of her life, she would go through the cycles of dementia. Usually after an "episode" she would fall back into herself for a few days, becoming very quiet and unresponsive. It was during one of these quiet days that I stayed home from church to be with her (we all took turns). She was in her wheelchair, so I wheeled her into the room where the piano was. I started to play random hymns, just kind of flipping through the book. When I started to play "I Need Thee Every Hour", Grandma started singing along! It surprised me, but I didn't stop playing. She sang all the words to every verse. When the song was over, I hurried to find another song that she would sing to, but to no avail. She had emerged just for that song, then went back to her solitude as soon as it was over. I knew she loved that song, and now I felt the power of the words.
I knew that Grandma was still Grandma - all fiery, and stubborn, and loving, and wonderful. Even though her physical body placed limits on her, she was still the same. I was grateful that day for another glimpse of my Grandma. I love her and miss her, and I never hear that hymn without thinking of her.
What are some memories you have of Grandma?
No comments:
Post a Comment