We descend from a grand heritage. Most of the Pulsiphers I meet know (and are related to) Zera Pulsipher. My parents gave me an interesting article once by Glen L. Rudd talking about the Angel Moroni, in which he mentions Zera Pulsipher. I thought I'd share it with you all...
First, a little background. This comes from a transcript of Zera Pulsipher's autobiography. The spelling and grammar are just as he wrote it. To see the entire transcript, click here.
"In the summer of 1831 I heard a Minister say than an ancient record of Golden Bible in Manchester near Palmyra which remark struck me like a shock of electricity at the same time thought it might be something that would give light to my mind upon principles that I had been thinking of for years and many time I had remarked that if the pure church with its gifts and graces was not on the earth, if so I had not found it. But I shoud be happy enough to find it in my day.
I embraced it accordingly in the fall of 1831 there was a Book of Mormon brought into town I succeeded in getting it I directly read it through twice gave it a thorough investigation an believed it was true and he winter following Jerod Carter came that way from a mission to Vermont to Lake George. As soon as he came into town I, with two Methodist preachers went to see him after a reasonable introduction I questioned him upon the principles of the ancient gospel with all its gifts belinging to it. I asked him upon the principles of the ancient gospel with all its gifts belinging to it. I asked him if he believed it, he answered in the affirmative. I asked him if he had ever laid hands on the sick and they had recovered. Yes, he said, he had in many instances.
He preached the following evening to a crowded congregation held up the Book of Mormon and declared it to be a revelation from God. I could not gain-say anything he had said, he sat down and gave liberty for remarks, the congreation seemed to be in a maze not knowing what to think of what they had heard. I arose and said to the congregation that we had been hearing strange things and if true they were of the utmost importance to us. If not true it was one of the greatest impositions and as the preacher had said that he had got his knowledge from heaven and was nothing but a man and I the same, that I had just as good a right to obtain that blessing as he, therefore I was determined to have that knowledge for myself which I considered it my privilege, from that time I made it a matter of fervent prayer.
I think about the seventh day as I was thrashing in my barn with doors shut, all at once there seemed to be a ray of light from heaven which caused me to stop work for a short time, but soon began it again. Then in a few minutes another light came over my head which caused me to look up.
I thought I saw the Angels with the Book of Mormon in their hands in the attitude of showing it to me and saying, "This is the Great Revelation of the Last Days in which all things spoken of by the Prophets must be fulfilled."
The vision was so open and plain that I began to rejoice exceedlingly so that I walked the length of my barn crying, "Glory Hal-La-Lu-Ya to the God and the Lamb forever."
For some time it seemed a little difficult to keep my mind in a proper state of reasonable order, I was filled with the joys of heaven. But when my mind became calm I called the church together, (he being their Minister) and informed them of what I had seen. I told them of my determination to join the Church of Latter-Day- Saints, which I did and a large body of my church went with me. I was ordained to the office of an Elder and went to preaching with considerable success at home and abroad. I had the privilege of baptizing Wilford Woodruff on the 31st of Dec, 1833, at Richland, New York. "
Now, what did Elder Glen L. Rudd have to say? If you want to read the entire talk, click here.
"Now, I want to tell you the names of some of the people that saw Moroni. We all know he talked to Joseph Smith who saw him. We know that Oliver Cowdery saw him as did David Whitmer and Martin Harris...
"The ninth man to see Moroni was a man named Zera Pulsipher. He was a minister of another church. He had a vision in his barn. While he was out in the barn one day, a light descended upon him in the middle of this barn, and he looked up and saw Moroni. And Moroni blessed his life and showed him the plates. He became a Seventy in the Church. He became a high priest and became a patriarch. He’s the man who converted and baptized Wilford Woodruff into the Church in 1833."
Simply amazing.
Saturday, October 11, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Thanks so much, Marci, for posting that story. I love it every time I hear it. We truly are blessed with a great heritage!
Post a Comment